Nature And Scope
CDF’s mission is to ensure every child a Healthy Start, a Head Start, a Fair Start, a Safe Start and a Moral Start in life and successful passage to adulthood with the help of caring families and communities. The CDF Freedom Schools ® program is a direct service initiative coordinated nationally by the Children’s Defense Fund in partnership with local community organizations. It is an educational and cultural enrichment program that provides summer options for children and strengthens family and community involvement
The mission of CDF Freedom Schools programs is to boost student motivations to read, generate more positive attitudes toward learning, increase self-esteem and connect the needs of children and families to the resources of their communities. The program serves children in grades kindergarten through twelfth for six to eight weeks. The activity based Integrated Reading Curriculum (IRC), which is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, integrates reading, conflict resolution, and social action, and is designed to promote social, cultural, and historical awareness. A multi-year assessment of CDF Freedom Schools program sites continuously demonstrates the effectiveness of the IRC, which has proven to avert children’s summer learning loss in reading achievement.
The Site Coordinator manages the day-to-day operations and serves as the supervisor for one CDF Freedom Schools program site. It is recommended that the Site Coordinator has served as a CDF Freedom Schools Servant Leader Intern and should be capable of leading an intergenerational staff. The Site Coordinator should be committed to the goals of the program, able to work collaboratively with all program constituents and be familiar with the culture and dynamics of the community
Mandatory CDF VIRTUAL training March 23-26 (4 hrs a day)
Mandatory In-Person Training May 31- June 4, 2022
• Serve in a supervisory capacity for the Servant Leader Interns, reporting to the Project Director.
• Work in conjunction with site leadership to recruit, hire, train and manage staff.
• Work with site leadership to recruit children and families that are our most vulnerable populations.
• Attend all required trainings and ensure all program staff attends required trainings.
• Work with site leadership to plan and facilitate local pre and post trainings before and after the Ella Baker Child Policy Training Institute National Training.
• Maintain the safety of all staff and scholars, which includes but is not limited to the following:
o Secure staff background checks and clearances.
o Guarantee onsite safety procedures and protocols are in compliance with The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.
o Communicate and confirm that all staff, scholars, and parents have an understanding of site guidelines.
• Work with site staff to plan and implement all program components with fidelity.
• Work in conjunction with site leadership to check book inventory upon receipt and notify the CDF designee of any discrepancies.
• Ensure Servant leader Interns have the necessary books, materials, and supplies for daily activities through the scheduled collection and review of lesson plans.
• Conduct daily debrief sessions to provide technical support and feedback for site staff in an effort to maintain site cohesion.
• Input child, parent and staff enrollment data in CDF’s reporting system.
• Maintain regular communication and timely correspondence with emails and requests with the CDF Freedom Schools national staff.
• Submit all required documents, data reports, and evaluations to CDF by the required deadline.
• Must have completed at least one year of college.
• Servant Leader Intern experience at a CDF Freedom Schools site is preferred.
• Possess strong leadership and management skills to lead and motivate an intergenerational staff.
• Ability to translate a strategic plan into direct implementation.
• Ability to motivate others, pay attention to detail, and lead long-term planning.
• Solid commitment to the success and well-being of children.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Exhibit positive behavior and attitude, modeling a mature and professional demeanor.
• Ability to attend all mandatory trainings and meetings as required by the CDF Freedom Schools national staff.
• Ability to implement the CDF Freedom Schools program with full fidelity.